End of Evans as powerful witness destroys him in court


A prosecution witness, James Uduji, has narrated before an Igbosere High Court sitting in Lagos, how he spent 45 days in Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, a.k.a Evans captivity and how he paid a ransom of 1.2 million dollars before he was released by the alleged kidnappers.

Uduji, the victim and the first witness in the suit instituted against Evans told the court presided by Justice Adedayo Akintoye how Evans drove the vehicle that was used to kidnap him and how also treated him of his bullet wounds.

Evans is facing two separate charges bordering on conspiracy to kidnap, kidnapping and attempted murder, before Justice Adedayo Akintoye.

He is standing trial alongside Joseph Emeka, Ugochukwu Nwachukwu and Victor Aduba.

In another separate charge, he is standing trial alongside Joseph Emeka, Linus Okpara and Victor Aduba.

At the commencement of trial on Friday, Uduji, narrated to the court how he was kidnapped on Sept. 7, 2015, by four armed men on his way home from his factory at Agbara in Ogun State.

He told the court that the incident took place very close to his house at 7th Avenue area of Festac Town, Lagos.

Uduji said that the alleged kidnappers were driving a Lexus 470 SUV at the time of the incident and shot several gun shots during the kidnap operation.

According to him, “I was inside my Hilux van with my two drivers when the men came and pulled me out of my vehicle and dragged me inside their own vehicle, I was surprised to see men shooting gun, and initially, I thought they were police.

“I was not blindfolded at this point so I saw the men clearly and the man behind the steering with a gun was Evans, he is the only one I can recognise among the four,” Uduji said.

The witness also said that when he was dragged out of his vehicle, he noticed that he was stained with blood, “I then realised I sustained bullet wounds”.

Uduji said that the kidnappers called a doctor on phone who treated his bullet wound at their destination.

The witness said he was giving two tetanus injections for seven days, adding that Evans was the so called doctor who treated him.

He said that he stayed for 45 days in captivity and a ransom of 1.2 million dollars was paid before he was released by the alleged kidnappers.

Uduji told the court that the ransom was paid in three instalments by his brothers, adding that he was released eight days after the ransom was paid.

The witness was however cross-examined by all the defendants’ counsel, Mr Olanrewaju Ajanaku who represented Evans, Mr Ogedi Ogu who represented the second defendant and Mr Emmanuel Ochai for the fourth defendant.

Counsel to Evans, Ajanaku, noted that the specific date when Uduji was released from the kidnappers was not mentioned in the statement which the witness made at the police station.

He further said the date which the witness testified he made the statement at the police station did not tally with the date at the body of the statement.

Another witness, Mr Jerome Ugoeze, the driver to the first witness also gave his own evidence.

He said he sustained bullet wounds from the kidnappers’ gun shots, adding that he pretended to be dead when he sustained the wound and he was taken to the hospital thereafter by some good Samaritans.

Justice Akitoye thereafter adjourned the matter till Sept 17 for continuation of trial.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *